Tuesday, August 27, 2013

CHARMED LIVES: My Family's Slide Collection

CLICK IMAGE TO ENTER GALLERIES

I've started to scan my family's slide collection. These are all large format (most 2.75", many glass slides in metal frames). Some are in better shape than others. I haven't found a solution for digitizing them without spending a fortune, but I wanted to try to preserve them as best I could.

I think it's apparent that these aren't just documents from our family's history, they're time capsules of a culture far removed  from our present.

I've done a bit of color correction, but the dust, scratches and imperfections are magnified by the scanning process. Some that are really beautiful photos I've been unable to faithfully restore, but the slides are still there in case anyone in the future has a better option. With over 1000 in the collection, this project will take awhile for me to complete.

Some of these aren't necessarily from the years listed, but they were filed with that year, without any dates written on the slides.

No comments:

Post a Comment